Adriana BirneDirector of Early Childhood Programs
Phone : (201) 271-2311
Fax : 201-348-0584
We provide for your children so you can provide for your family.
Every eligible 3- and 4-year-old in Union City can go to FREE preschool. Eligibility for the “wrap-around services” will be based on the family’s income. Every child deserves the chance to succeed. The Union City Board of Education developed a complete program that helps children get a head start on school and life.
We provide early childhood education at several community provider facilities. Pre-K and Kindergarten classes are housed in the many of our schools as well as in our Eugenio Maria de Hostos Center for Early Childhood Education. In September 2007, we opened the Eugenio Maria de Hostos Center for Early Childhood Education. This is part of the Union City Board of Education’s commitment to expand and enhance the quality of early childhood education in our City.
The Center was a $13 million project funded entirely by the New Jersey Schools Construction Corp. One of the newest and largest early childhood centers in the region, it is a 38,000-square-foot facility which accommodates up to 270 students. The classes are small and each one has a computer station and its own personal facilities.
- 1,000-square-foot health screening center
- 3,600-square-foot playground area
- 1,500-square-foot kitchen
- 2,800-square-foot multi-purpose room
Eugenio Maria de Hostos Center for Early Childhood Education
2200 Kennedy Boulevard, Union City, NJ 07087
FREE Early Childhood Education
Teaching children when they are very young leads to higher grades, fewer problems, and better jobs later in life. Breakfast, snack and lunch are included, FREE, and classes are small: just 15 students with one certified teacher and one aide. Also included:
- FREE health screenings to stop problems early
- Full checkup with a licensed doctor, including vaccinations, hearing and vision tests and complete health screening
- Any problems or special needs are identified early and taken care of immediately
- FREE parenting and family support
- Parenting classes and answers to your questions
- Referrals and help during any family crisis
- Help getting social services (housing, WIC, free medical services, job assistance)