Superintendent of Schools
Mrs. Silvia Abbato is a Union City graduate, who for more than 30 years, has served the Union City Board of Education and the students and parents of Union City, as an elementary school teacher, science and math supervisor, and school principal. In her current position as the Superintendent of Schools and former position as Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, she directs Union City’s educational programs and oversees the district’s technology initiatives as well as its pre-college programs.
In her former role as Assistant Superintendent of Schools for Curriculum and Instruction, Silvia Correa-Abbato assisted the preceding Superintendent of Schools, Mr. Stanley Sanger, in bringing about substantial educational reform efforts to the district. Mrs. Abbato has brought in additional funding for the Union City Schools including $3 million in ARRA funds and the Race to the Top Grant ($425,000).
- Mrs. Abbato has been longstanding member (1 of only 10 members) NJ Academic Achievement Gap Task Force that examined and made recommendations on improving test scores to minority students statewide.
- She proudly represents New Jersey at the national level on the PARCC Assessment Task Force.
- Silvia has previously served as a Commissioner for the State of New Jersey on its Education Mandate Review Study Committee and its Abbott District Advisory Task Force.
- Mrs. Abbato has also served on the Review Committee for the NJ Science Curriculum Framework and on the Leadership Team for the NJ Mathematics Curriculum Framework.
- Silvia has been a Coordinator for Title II Eisenhower Grants and an Advisory Board Member for the NJ Statewide Systemic Initiative (SSI), overseeing $10 million dollars in federal funds.
- Mrs. Abbato has also been honored by the National Cuban Women’s Association, which recognized her achievements and contributions to the Cuban-American community with the Elena Mederos Award.
- Considering education the key to advancement, Mrs. Abbato has taught as an Adjunct Professor for Kean University.
- She was part of an Internal Management Monitoring team (Level III) that was instrumental in making significant reforms in the District in order to attain state certification.
- In her role as a District Supervisor, Mrs. Abbato was Principal Investigator for numerous prestigious federal as well as state grants, including the following: Project SMART a $600,000 grant from the NSF, the 21st Century Community Center funded by the USDOE ($600,000) and Goals 2000 Grant funded by the N.J. D.O.E. ($425,000). She was also Co-Principal Investigator for an NSF/NIE grant entitled Union City On-Line: An Architecture for Networking & Reform ($1,500,000). This grant which was awarded a Smithsonian Award was a partnership between the UC BOE and Bell Atlantic to introduce new technologies in the schools including the use of fiber optics.
Mrs. Silvia Abbato is married to Christopher Abbato, an ESL teacher and has two children, Michael and Richard. She is fluent in three languages: Spanish, Italian and English. She also enjoys playing the piano.
The Union City Board of Education uses a five year curriculum cycle to continually update and keep our curricula aligned with the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards.
The District has also developed a program description handout that details the curriculum and evaluation schedule for all content areas at all grade levels.
To obtain a copy of the District Curriculum Cycle, or for more information on curriculum development, contact Silvia Abbato, Assistant Superintendent.